Revision as of 21:56, 29 July 2012 by J.R.R. Tolkien
- 18 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 95.
- 30 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 96.
- ? - Leaf by Niggle is published in the The Dublin Review.
- 10 - J.R.R. Tolkien starts writing a letter to the Catholic Herald.
- 11 - J.R.R. Tolkien finishes writing a letter to the Catholic Herald.
- 11 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 97.
- 23 - A letter by J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Name Coventry", is published in the Catholic Herald.
- 15 - Charles Williams, Inkling, dies.
- 15 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 99.
- 29 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 100.
- 2 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Maegraith.
- 3 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 101.
- 23 - J.R.R. Tolkien is elected Merton Professor of English Language and Literature.
- 9 - As the bombs are dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Tolkien denounces these tactics as "utter folly".
- 17 - Bruce Spence, who would play the Mouth of Sauron in the extended edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, is born.
- 7 - Author Hal Colebatch is born.
- 11 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 103.
- 22 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 104.
- 26 - Author Jane Chance is born.
- 2 - J.R.R. Tolkien submits The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son for publication.
- ? - The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun is published in the Welsh Review.
- ? - Tolkien states he is putting The Lord of the Rings "before all else".
- ? - Writer Jim Allan is born.
1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948