(Difference between revisions)
m (Updated text)
Revision as of 13:22, 9 June 2011
Events which occurred on 29 September.
- 1940 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 39.
- 1968 - An Unexpected Party, the first episode of the 1968 radio series of The Hobbit, is aired on BBC Radio.
- 1968 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Billy Callahan.
- 1969 - Artist Warren Mahy is born.
- 1973 - W.H. Auden, long time friend of J.R.R. Tolkien, dies.
- 1979 - Oxonmoot 1979.
- 1979 - Scholars Humphrey Carpenter, George Sayer and Clyde S. Kilby deliver a public discussion on J.R.R. Tolkien at Wheaton College, Illinois (published as "A Dialogue: Discussion by Humphrey Carpenter, Professor George Sayer and Dr. Clyde S. Kilby").
- 1985 - Oxonmoot 1985.
- T.A. 3018:
- Frodo and his companions reach Bree at night. They stay at the Prancing Pony.
- Strider hides behind the hedge on the Road west of Bree and eavesdrops on "Mr. Underhill". In the inn Frodo arouses attention by his sudden disappearance whereupon Strider warns him to be more careful and reveals himself as being Gandalf's friend.
- Barliman Butterbur finally gives Frodo Gandalf's letter.
- Gandalf visits the Gaffer.
- Boromir travels towards Rivendell to ask for counsel.
- T.A. 3021: