Battles of Beleriand
|Previous war: War for Sake of the Elves|
|Next war: War of Wrath|
|Wars of Beleriand|
|Beginning: F.A. 1||End: F.A. 587|
|Place: East and West Beleriand|
|Outcome: Decisive victory for the Valar, Expulsion of Morgoth from Arda|
|Major battles: First Battle of Beleriand, Dagor-nuin-Giliath, Battle of the Lammoth, Dagor Aglareb, Dagor Bragollach, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Fall of the Falas, War of Wrath|
|Noldor, Sindar, Dwarves, Valar, Maiar, Edain||Morgoth's forces of Angband|
The following are the major battles in this long, extended conflict. Morgoth ever used Angband as a mighty fortress, and the base from which to launch his devastating attacks. While the Ñoldor had their victories, the Doom of Mandos always hung over their efforts. Many Men fell in these battles on both sides, and for a long time after the Elves had scorn for the Houses who supported Morgoth.
- The First Battle of Beleriand was fought before the Ñoldor arrived, and was fought by the Sindar and Laiquendi.
- The Second Battle was the Dagor-nuin-Giliath, or Battle-under-Stars, fought by the Ñoldor following Fëanor and his Seven Sons.
- The Third Battle was the Dagor Aglareb, or Glorious Battle, which led to the Siege of Angband.
- Various minor battles were fought during the Siege which are not counted among the majors.
- The Fourth Battle was the disastrous Dagor Bragollach, or Battle of Sudden Flame, in which Ard-galen burned and many Ñoldor, including Fingolfin, were slain.
- The Fifth Battle was the Nirnaeth Arnoediad or Battle of Unnumbered Tears, in which the Union of Maedhros was utterly broken by Morgoth.
- The Fall of the Falas, in which the havens of Brithombar and Eglarest were sacked and fell, took place after the Nírnaeth.
- The Sack of Nargothrond, where the city was destroyed by Glaurung and his Orcs.
- The Fall of Gondolin, in which Morgoth's hosts besieged and destroyed the Ñoldor and their citadel of Gondolin, killing King Turgon.
- The Sixth and Last Battle of Beleriand was the War of Wrath, which defeated Morgoth, ended the First Age of Arda and destroyed Beleriand.