(Added page to category "Characters in The Hobbit")
|Line 62:||Line 62:|
Latest revision as of 09:10, 20 April 2018
|Bungo Baggins from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring|
|Location||Bag End, Hobbiton|
|Birth||S.R. 1246 |
|Death||S.R. 1326 (aged 80)|
|Parentage||Mungo Baggins and Laura Grubb|
|Siblings||Belba, Longo, Linda and Bingo|
|Gallery||Images of Bungo Baggins|
Bungo Baggins (T.A. 2846 - 2926, died aged 80) was a well-to-do Hobbit, and the father of Bilbo Baggins. Father and son were so much alike, in looks and behaviour, that Bilbo seemed like a "second edition" of his "solid and comfortable" father.
Bungo was the eldest child of Mungo Baggins and Laura Grubb. He married Belladonna Took, daughter of the Old Took, towards S.R. 1290. Bungo and Belladonna had only one child together, the infamous Bilbo Baggins.
Apart from fathering Bilbo, Bungo's other achievements were that he built and excavated the rather luxurious Bag End in the Hill in Hobbiton and that he laid down several bottles of Old Winyards wine that would be enjoyed by Rorimac Brandybuck after Bilbo's Farewell Party and by the small party on 21 September T.A. 3018 that Frodo Baggins gave before leaving Bag End.
Bungo had an aptitude for either remembering or coining proverbs. Bilbo quoted his father's sayings "third time pays for all" before making his first descent into Erebor and "while there's life there's hope" when leading the Dwarves down to Smaug's lair.
 Portrayal in adaptations
- The same portrait is featured by the end of the film, as Bilbo returns home from his journey to Erebor.
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- A portrait of Belladonna, Bungo and a young Bilbo hangs at Bag End. As he looks at it, Bilbo exclaims "A Hobbit couldn't wish for nicer parents".
 See also
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "Baggins of Hobbiton"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "An Unexpected Party"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Three is Company"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Inside Information"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Not at Home"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix F, "On Translation"
- ↑ Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Edition) , "Farewell Dear Bilbo", Director's commentary
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Hobitton"