This article or section needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of article quality.
|Born||November 29th, 1898|
|Died||November 22nd, 1963|
|Education||University of Oxford|
- "Friendship with the latter marked the breakdown of two old prejudices. At my first coming into the world I had been (implicitly) warned never to trust a Papist, and at my first coming into the English Faculty (explicitly) never to trust a philologist. Tolkien was both."
- ― C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy
Clive Staples "Jack" Lewis (November 29, 1898 – November 22, 1963), commonly referred to as C.S. Lewis, was an Irish writer and scholar. Lewis is known for his work on medieval literature, Christian apologetics, literary criticism, and fiction. He is best known today for his series The Chronicles of Narnia.
Lewis was a close friend of J.R.R. Tolkien. Both authors were leading figures in the English faculty at Oxford University and in the informal Oxford literary group known as the Inklings. According to his memoir Surprised by Joy, Lewis had been baptised in the Church of Ireland at birth, but fell away from his faith during his adolescence. Owing to the influence of Tolkien and other friends, at about the age of 30, Lewis re-converted to Christianity, becoming "a very ordinary layman of the Church of England". His conversion had a profound effect on his work, and his wartime radio broadcasts on the subject of Christianity brought him wide acclaim.
- Space Trilogy
- 1939: Rehabilitations and Other Essays
- 1942: The Screwtape Letters
- The Chronicles of Narnia
- 1955: Surprised by Joy
- 1960: The Four Loves
- 1966: C.S.: Letters of C.S. Lewis
- 1966: Letters to an American Lady
- 1969: Selected Literary Essays (edited by Walter Hooper)
- 2000: The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 1
- 2004: The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 2
- 2006: The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 3
- 1937 Times Literary Supplement, 2 October 1937, p.714.
- 1937: The Times (London), 8 October 1937, p.20.
- "Professor Tolkien's 'Hobbit'" [review of The Hobbit]
- 1954: Time and Tide, 14 August 1954, p. 1082.
- 1955: Time and Tide, 22 October 1955, p. 1373.
|J.R.R. Tolkien · J.A.W. Bennett · Lord David Cecil · Nevill Coghill · James Dundas-Grant · Hugo Dyson · Adam Fox · Colin Hardie · Robert Havard · C.S. Lewis · Warren Lewis · Gervase Mathew · R.B. McCallum · C.E. Stevens · Christopher Tolkien · John Wain · Charles Williams · Charles Leslie Wrenn|