|Smaug (birth unknown – Third Age 2941) was the greatest fire-breathing dragon of the Third Age. Details of his origin are unknown, but in T.A. 2770 he attacked the Lonely Mountain and the town of Dale. He claimed the treasure of the mountain for himself and forced Thrór, King under the Mountain, and his people into exile. Thorin's quest - with the help of his burglar Bilbo Baggins - to reclaim the treasure ended in success when Smaug was slain by Bard in T.A. 2941.
- "But do you remember Gandalf's words: Even Gollum may have something yet to do? But for him, Sam, I could not have destroyed the Ring. The Quest would have been in vain, even at the bitter end. So let us forgive him! For the Quest is achieved and now all is over. I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Mount Doom"
Countdown to The Hobbit films
|As part of the countdown to the release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, let's work together to improve our most popular articles relating to The Hobbit.|
409 days to go until The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is released.
- 1914 - The Big Four - Tolkien, Wiseman, Smith and Gilson - plan to meet at Cambridge, and all but Tolkien come. Now under the lead of Barnsley and Barrowclough, the T.C.B.S. begins to crumble.
- 1931 - Father Christmas writes a letter to J.R.R. Tolkien's children.
- 1948 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 117.
- 1954 – "The Hero Is a Hobbit", a review by W.H. Auden of The Fellowship of the Ring, is published.
- 1961 - Director Peter Jackson is born in Pukerua Bay, New Zealand.
- 1964 - The fourth episode of the Princess-serialization of The Hobbit is published.
- 1967 - The Road Goes Ever On is first published in the United States.
- 1970 - Actor Nolan North is born.
- 1974 - Artist Randy Gallegos is born.
- 2001 - Tyalië Tyelelliéva issue 17 is published.
- 2005 - RingCon V at SeaTac, Washington.
- 2010 - Mereth Aderthad XVI, or "EstelCon" of the Spanish Tolkien Society in Valenica, Spain.
- Note: Months of the Shire Calendar only have 30 days, so no events have nor will happen on the 31st.