On this day...
- 1956 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 191.
- 1973 - Lord Halsbury visits J.R.R. Tolkien.
- 1980 - Mythcon 11 at University of Nevada, Reno.
- 1981 - The twenty-first episode of the 1981 radio series of The Lord of the Rings is aired on BBC Radio 4.
- 1985 - Mythcon 16 in Wheaton, Illinois.
- 1987 - Mythcon 18 at Marquette University, Milwaukee.
- 1991 - Mythcon 22 in San Diego, California.
- 1996 - Mythcon 27 at University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado.
- 2002 - Mythcon 33 at Boulder, Colorado.
- 2003 - Mythcon 34 in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 2009 - Tolkien Thing 2009 in Rieneck, Germany.
- 2012 - The Saga of Hrolf Kraki, translated by Stella M. Mills, is published in a new edition, with a Foreword by Priscilla Tolkien.
- 2014 - Laocoon, one of Tolkien's favourite trees, lost two limbs. Subsequently, the Oxford Botanic Garden decided that the tree must be felled for safety reasons.
- "'Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens,' said Gimli.
'Maybe,' said Elrond, 'but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall.'"
- ― The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Ring Goes South"
- Featured quotes