On this day...
- 1905 - Actor Lockwood West is born.
- 1922 - J.R.R. Tolkien agrees to review Beowulf: An Introduction to the Study of the Poem.
- 1939 - J.R.R. Tolkien performs Chaucer's The Reeve's Tale at the 'Summer Diversions' - a festival of recitals, plays and ballet.
- 1940 - Actor Phil Proctor is born.
- 1944 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 76.
- 1947 – Rayner Unwin reports on the first version of The Fellowship of the Ring.
- 1955 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Mrs Dixey.
- 1955 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Jennifer Brookes-Smith.
- 1965 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 274.
- 1967 - The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins is performed by Leonard Nimoy in the TV-show Malibu U.
- 1980 - Mythcon 11 at University of Nevada, Reno.
- 1985 - Mythcon 16 in Wheaton, Illinois.
- 1989 - Mythcon 20 at University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
- 1991 - Mythcon 22 in San Diego, California.
- 1996 - Mythcon 27 at University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado.
- 2002 - Mythcon 33 in Boulder, Colorado.
- 2003 - Mythcon 34 in Nashville, Tennessee.
- 2006 - ELF 2006 in Secaucus, New Jersey.
- 2007 - MerpCon III in Spokane, Washington.
- 2016 - Leaf by Niggle is published for the first time as a stand-alone volume.
- "Morgoth held hurled aloft Grond, Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth, whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a lightning shoots from under dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
- Featured quotes