- 1920 - Translator Max Schuchart is born.
- 1934 - Author Diana Wynne Jones is born.
- 1943 - Actress Sharon Baird is born.
- 1964 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 260.
- 1975 - Mythcon 6 at Scripps College in Claremont, California.
- 1976 - Mythcon 7 in Sacramento, California.
- 1981 - The twenty-fourth episode of the 1981 radio series of The Lord of the Rings is aired on BBC Radio 4.
- 1982 - Mythcon 13 at Chapman College in Orange, California.
- 1984 - The Book of Lost Tales Part Two is published in the UK.
- 1992 - The first part of the 1992 radio series of Farmer Giles of Ham is aired on BBC Radio 5.
- 1992 - Tolkien Centenary Conference, a combination of Oxonmoot 1992 and Mythcon 23, at Keble College, Oxford.
- 2002 - The Annotated Hobbit: Revised and Expanded Edition is published.
- 2008 - Mythcon 39 at Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, Connecticut.
- 2010 - "Edge of the Wild", Tolkien art exhibition in Moreton-in-Marsh, England.
- 2012 - The Return of the Ring, Tolkien Society conference at Loughborough University, England.
- "Morgoth held hurled aloft Grond, Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth, whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a lightning shoots from under dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
- Featured quotes