On this day... (July 29)
- 1954 - The Fellowship of the Ring is published.
- 1966 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Michael Tolkien, partly published as Letter 289.
- 1966 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Max Rouslin
- 1985 - Mythcon 16 in Wheaton, Illinois.
- 1988 - Mythcon 19 in Berkeley, California.
- 1989 - Mythcon 20 at University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
- 1991 - Mythcon 22 in San Diego, California.
- 1994 - Tyalië Tyelelliéva issue 1 is published.
- 1996 - Mythcon 27 at University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado.
- 2002 - Mythcon 33 at Boulder, Colorado.
- 2004 - Mythcon 35 at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
- 2004 - The Lord of the Rings Symphony at Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 2006 - ELF 2006 in Secaucus, New Jersey.
- 2007 - MerpCon III in Spokane, Washington.
- 2008 - The 1968 radio series of The Hobbit is re-released in the USA including interviews with J.R.R. Tolkien.
- 2014 - Producer and interviewer Denys Gueroult dies.
- "Morgoth held hurled aloft Grond, Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder. But Fingolfin sprang aside, and Grond rent a mighty pit in the earth, whence smoke and fire darted. Many times Morgoth essayed to smite him, and each time Fingolfin leaped away, as a lightning shoots from under dark cloud; and he wounded Morgoth with seven wounds, and seven times Morgoth gave a cry of anguish, whereat the hosts of Angband fell upon their faces in dismay, and the cries echoed in the Northlands."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin"
- Featured quotes