|Map of Harad by Christopher Tolkien|
|Location||South of Mordor, east of the Harnen, south-west of Khand|
Its inhabitants were enemies of Gondor during parts of its history. Once men of Near Harad made an alliance with those of Khand and with the Wainriders to attack Gondor. King Ondoher anticipated their strike, and created a Southern Army to defend his land against them. Under the command of Eärnil, the Southern Army destroyed the army of Harad in South Ithilien. It seems likely that many of the Haradrim who troubled Gondor, actually were men of Near Harad.
Portrayal in adaptations
- Several settlements, sites, hills and rivers in Near Harad are mentioned in the MERP module Southern Gondor: The Land.
- ↑ General Map of Middle-earth
- ↑ "Tolkien’s annotated map of Middle-earth transcribed" dated 10 November 2015, The Tolkien Society (accessed 11 November 2015)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion", entry for King Ondoher
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan", (i) The Northmen and the Wainriders, including note 14