This article describes a concept which is mentioned in J.R.R. Tolkien's works, but was never given a definite name.
The talking purse was the purse of the troll William. When Bilbo Baggins tried to pick the purse from William's pocket, the purse suddenly squeaked "Ere, 'oo are you?". William was thus warned of the pickpocketing and captured Bilbo.
The size of the purse was huge: it is told to have been "as big as a bag to Bilbo". Apparently "Trolls' purses" were known for their mischief.
Portrayal in adaptations
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- Not only does the purse talk, but it has eyes that open up when Bilbo touches it.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Roast Mutton"
- ↑ "Talking Wallet?", The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Plaza: Forum (accessed 9 March 2013)
- ↑ "The talking purse", Minas Tirith Forums (accessed 9 March 2013)
- ↑ "The talking purse - anything in the mythology to explain what it is?", The One Ring Forums (accessed 9 March 2013)