Administrators are volunteers who use their own judgement to exercise their abilities in the best interests of Tolkien Gateway. There are currently 5 administrators.
 Administrators' abilities
Administrators have the technical ability to perform the following actions, including:
- block user accounts and IP addresses from editing;
- apply (and remove) page protection to restrict editing of a particular page;
- delete pages and images;
- revert pages quickly via the [rollback] function;
- move a page over an already-existing page;
- edit protected pages (including the Main Page);
- view and restore deleted pages;
- hide and delete page revisions;
By convention, administrators also normally take responsibility for judging - and, of course, enacting - the outcome of certain discussions, such as deletion and move discussions. This process is fairly informal, however.
 Current administrators
- Hyarion (since 3 June 2005)
- Ederchil (since 17 August 2008)
- Mith (since 14 July 2010)
- Morgan (since 12 June 2013)
- KingAragorn (since 7 June 2014)
 Becoming an administrator
- See also: Tolkien Gateway:Requests for adminship
- They have an account under a screen-name.
- They have actively contributed for at least six months to the wiki.
- They have demonstrated they are willing to take on additional responsibilities to make the community better.
- They have had at least some major article revisions.
- They have dealings with other users on a regular basis in a fair, restrained, and constructive manner.
- They have demonstrated an understanding of the community's policies and procedures.
In such requests, voting must be unanimously in favour. Administrators need to have the trust and confidence of the community so administrators are usually those editors with considerable experience (currently, the five administrators are the five top editors). Potential administrators also need to be very well-acquainted with Tolkien Gateway's policies, style guide, and procedures.
 See also
- Tolkien Gateway: Bureaucrats, users who have further responsibilities.