Tolkien Gateway:Community Portal
Revision as of 22:36, 19 April 2006 by 22.214.171.124
The Community Portal is a place for the community to discuss the encyclopedia. Below you will find recent updates and events regarding the wiki and on the talk page we discuss various topics about the site, not unlike a forum.
- We have planned to upgrade from MediaWiki 1.5.4 to 1.6.3 today. This includes an added feature which forces people who edit anonymously and have a link in their edit, to type a random word. This should prevent pretty much all the vandalisms. If you find anything wrong after the upgrade, please let us know.
- If you haven't noticed we have converted our Community Portal discussion to a forum-like atmosphere over on the Council forums (a link is also present on the left navigation).
- It seems we have surpassed over 200,000 page views as well as over 200 registered users. Congratulations everyone.
- Over 500 articles and a day later I've now completed the redirect pages. Searching or even making a Numenor link will redirect to the correct accented article.
- I'm still debating switching the main page to be simply a Search Page. I like the idea of having a simplistic Google-like look, but I think the lack of news/information on the main page might not be liked. What do you guys think?
- I think I've decided to go through every article that has an accent and create a non-accented redirect to it. Search results do not display the correct results for something like "Numenor" since there are technically accents on the word. Creating the redirects will allow someone to search for "Numenor" and simply be redirected to the correct page. I've whined to the MediaWiki staff about creating an extension but it's just going to be too much work to do it like Google and even Wikipedia uses the redirect idea.
- Congratulations everyone, we have now surpassed 10,000 edits!
- I've altered the left navigation menu to display only alphabetical links. The old links were not fully completed even though the articles were written. I think this way people will be able to see how large our database is more efficiently. What do you guys think? Feel free to post on the discussion page.
- Unfortunately the last couple days we've had some MySQL issues which has caused some downtime. This is not viewed lightly and we've done everyting possible to prevent anymore downtime in the future. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Congratulations to everyone who has worked on the Encyclopedia, we have now surpassed over 100,000 views.
- We have founded our own Tolkien News website.
- A new skin has been added. To switch to that skin permanently just go into your preferences once you are logged in.
- I've added a page for editors to discuss Tolkien Gateway.
- Tolkien Gateway is now offering free website hosting and IRC chat services to selected Tolkien websites, please email hyarion [at] hyarion [dot] net for more details.
- After a bit of downtime we now have successfully relocated to the new server.
- You can now View recently uploaded images. If you have an account, feel free to Upload your own images.