- 5 - Wolfe Morris, who would voice of Gollum in the 1968 radio series of The Hobbit, is born.
- ? - J.R.R. Tolkien's "Philology: General Works" is published in The Year's Work in English Studies.
- 23 - Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is first published.
- ? - "Some Contributions to Middle-English Lexicography", an essay by J.R.R. Tolkien, is published.
- 6 - Actor Gareth Jones is born.
- 8 - Father Robert Murray, friend of J.R.R. Tolkien and his family, is born.
- 12 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to a Mr. Ashton.
- 27 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 7.
- ? - Tolkien's poem Light as Leaf on Lindentree is published in The Gryphon.
- 22 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 8.
- 22 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to H.F.B. Brett-Smith.
- ? - The Devil's Coach-Horses, an essay by J.R.R. Tolkien, is published.
- 8 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to H.F.B. Brett-Smith.
- 23 - The first recorded date in the writing of the Lay of Leithian, at Line 557.
- 21 - Tolkien submits his resignation from Leeds, his employment officially ended December 31, 1925.
- 29 - Paul Daneman, who would voice Bilbo Baggins in the 1968 radio series of The Hobbit, is born.
- ? - Tolkien moves from Leeds to Pembroke College of Oxford where he is elected Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon.
- ? - The Flight of the Noldoli from Valinor is published.
- ? - The journal The Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion Session 1923-24, which includes an essay with a contribution by J.R.R. Tolkien as translator, is published.
- ? - Author and academic Charles Moorman is born.
1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928