Forum:CanonWoolly Mammoth 07:51, 12 May 2015 (UTC) I know I am repeating myself over and over concerning this matter, but...Why are the concepts which were developed by Tolkien (whether he changed his mind over the course of time, or not) so lightly thrown around as "Canon" or "Noncanon".
Only concepts that should NOT be considered canon are those that were developed by anyone but Tolkien. We really should do something about it. And I have noticed that some of the administrators follow that misguided concept. So please! Consider your objectivity.
- I don't understand your point. Which administrators are you speaking about? --Morgan 17:06, 12 May 2015 (UTC)
- ??? Arya
- http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Tolkien_Gateway:Manual_of_Style#Canon - he obviously doesn't understand or care about that little part. Woolly Mammoth 11:10, 16 May 2015 (UTC)
- Well, if one person was alone on this website, it wouldn't be a good one. I've been here just a few days, and have made plenty mistakes myself (thanks Mith!). Anyway, he probably doesn't want to make these mistakes. Personally, we should NICELY tell him obout it, instead of having a huge council about it. This goes for the other nameless people too. Arya
- I also don't understand what you want to say here. I might agree that the "canon" policy is simplistic. However you haven't followed my advice for modest edits. I don't remember having a discussion about articles of "disputed canon" and appointing anyone to tag them so. Sage 21:37, 16 May 2015 (UTC)
- Because "disputed canon" template, to my sincerely modest knowledge, was never applied anywhere. However, I might be wrong and probably I am. And a "noncanon" template is very misleading. "Disputed canon" shows relatively clearly that a certain topic is...well...arguably disputable. In contrast to "noncanon" which SHOULD be reserved for adaptations and fanon. Concerning a discussion and "appointment" of anyone to tag certain articles - I can wait until I'm about 568 years old. No problem for me. Woolly Mammoth 21:56, 16 May 2015 (UTC)
- Resist being impatient??? Arya
- I am not going to stand in judgement over Ederchil - he has been a very long-standing editor of Tolkien Gateway and, in my view, a very good one. Failure to carry out a task - implementation of Template:Disputedcanon - is not the same as refusal to do so; we have limited capacity.
- However, where I take issue is that we now have a situation where User:Woolly Mammoth apparently decides what is canon, what is not canon and what is disputed! I think Arya's advice is pertinent. --09:41, 17 May 2015 (UTC)
You have not failed your promise. It is only delayed. Arya