Forum:One Wiki Merge
Hi, all of you. I'm TheGreyPilgrim, an admin from the One Wiki to Rule Them All. Hyarion has been talking to us about a merge, and I thought I would open up a topic about it for you guys. Thanks. TheGreyPilgrim 09:24, 15 May 2008 (EDT)
- I don't mind. Who gets to move? -- Ederchil 09:38, 15 May 2008 (EDT)
- I took a look. It looks like a pretty active wiki to me. And their graphics are impressive. Our content is somewhat higher quality, and they seem to have a vandalism problem. I was disturbed to see they use the same prologue pic on the Last Alliance War article that I used. Oops-- maybe I need a new pic.--Theoden1 19:27, 15 May 2008 (EDT)
- How do you and Hya see this merger? Move One Wiki articles to the Gateway, for example? Or more like some cooperation between the two? And what about some kind of cooperation with the wikis in other languages One Wiki links to? (, , , ) ~ Earendilyon 06:56, 17 May 2008 (EDT)
- We can read that we can vote on this merge, but no-one has yet explained what, how, when, nor why! ~ Earendilyon 15:13, 23 May 2008 (EDT)
- Regarding the wikis in other languages: with the exception of the German one, all the others seem dead so I don't think there is much to cooperate with. We already work with Ardapedia in German which is more active so we'll probably stick with them. We're also working with Tolkiendil in adding inter-wiki links.
- We need to get you back in the chat where a lot of the discussion has been taking place :). What: Everything, articles, images, users, templates, standards, etc. How: Copying/pasting the better article/image, re-registering users, voting on conflicting standards, etc. When: This summer. Why: Having the two wikis work together and combine to create the ultimate Tolkien resource has always been a dream of mine :) —Unsigned comment by Hyarion (talk • contribs).
- I've taken a quick glance at the German one; not really a positive review coming up. On 100% "movieverse" Hadhafang they cite "Der Herr der Ringe" (LotR) as a source, but they do exactly the same on Imrahil, who was 100% "bookverse".
- Oh, and wasn't there a Hungarian wiki you were talking with too? -- Ederchil 03:36, 24 May 2008 (EDT)
- Well, I think things like this shouldn't just be discussed in a chat that gets lost when closed, but also be posted here. That way, people who don't use chat can discuss these matters also or at least stay informed about them.
- Have you already thought about a name for the merged wiki? Will it be Tolkien Gateway or perhaps One Wiki to Rule Them All or maybe a combination Tolkien Gateway: One Wiki to Rule Them All? ~ Earendilyon 06:28, 24 May 2008 (EDT)
- Mild agreement with that on my part. I've just recently started taking an interest in matters here, and trying to set up doing something quietly here and there, and then this comes along. I'm not a happy chatter (only time I ever joined in a chat anywhere was CoH release, that's basically why I registered here, but I haven't been active in the interim). So I do depend on what I hear here.
- I don't quite know what to think about it, I didn't know anything about One Wiki till yesterday. Quick and very cursory looking over there gives me the impression that over here we're a bit more bookish (which suits me down to the ground) and over there they're bit more movie-gazing. Given the quiet scuffles going on here lately about too many movie and fancruft pictures I see trouble ahead when merging.
- I agree with Theoden1 that content over here is higher quality. I've compared a (non-representatively small) number of lemmata and found them more thorough over here. Also I think we've got about twice as many lemmata, though the stats do not compare clearly. On the other hand, there's a bit more discussion of policy and proposed statements of same over there, something that I find a bit lacking over here. That may in part be due to the role that chat plays over here.
- In fact, I have been musing over proposing setting up a few policy pages over here. Maybe I'll still do so, given time. Otherwise, I think this proposal of merger and discussion of voting about it will mean I'll be watching and listening more and editing and getting things consistent a bit less than I intended when I started monitoring edits daily about the beginning of this month. -- Mithrennaith 19:31, 24 May 2008 (EDT)
- Thanks Mithrennaith, you've brought up some good points. While we discuss a lot of things in the chat, any decisions are still made via the wiki. I wouldn't worry too much about the merge, it is likely that it will have minimal impact on the wiki with the exception of more editors/visitors. Let me know any policy pages you'd like to see written and I'll get them started as we definitely could use more of them. Thanks for your input. --Hyarion 19:51, 24 May 2008 (EDT)
- One other point of comparison: the wikia adverts on OW are noticably slowing down my system. I don't disapprove of adverts in principle, but most internet advertising tries very hard to out-shout the content, even to the point of over-taxing peoples systems so much that the content becomes almost unreachable. That's why I often end up hating adverts. So I would tend to be against moving over there. -- Mithrennaith 20:07, 24 May 2008 (EDT)
- I'm with you, TG will never have ads as long as I'm here, they take up space, draw focus away from the content, and slow down systems. Very few of the major Tolkien sites lack advertisements anymore and maybe it's just me but there's a sense of purity to a site that can fill your screen without any form of advertising. --Hyarion 20:37, 24 May 2008 (EDT)