Forum:Trouble with source formatting
I seem to be having trouble getting the sources for my Article (The Necromancer of Dol Goldûr) to work properly. I tried to insert a few to test out the coding, but I could not seem to get the numbers in the references to synch with the numbers in the article.
Could someone give me a little help here (I am also having trouble navigating and understanding the help system. This is the first time I have been involved with working in a wiki format.
Matthew 16:23, 24 August 2008 (UTC)
- 1) Help is currently being worked at.
- 2) Off the record: you might want to work on your spelling. It's Dol Guldur, Gilgalad, Wilderland, Éothéod, Balchoth, and some others. And concerning "The Assault upon Dol Goldûr", please stay in-universe (no "Tolkien told" etcetera).
- 3) With our recent upgrade, we now use Cite/Cite, which may, at first, seem tricky. But in this case, just add the following at the end of the article:
* ''[[The Lord of the Rings]]'', [[Appendix B]]
- If there are any more problems, let me know. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 16:35, 24 August 2008 (UTC)
- Thanks for the tips... I hadn't checke dhte spelling of Dol Goldur in a while, and have just been working off of a map that I had bought at a convention a very long time ago (it has all sorts of things on it, but it is getting to be a bit worn out and falling apart).
- With regard to point 2, are you referring to the various sources of the dead that the Necromancer would have had at his disposal?
- Could you give me an example please of what you mean by "Tolkien Told"? Most of that is speculation, but it is based upon a sound examination of what was known about the Ishtari.
- As for who participated in it, that is based solely upon who would have been available at the time considering the Ishtari were not supposed to go in for direct confrontations with Sauron, or the Nazgûl at all costs (This is mentioned in Both the Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle Earth
- As for point 3, will I need to create a numbered list in the references to go with the various sources for different points made in the article? Most of them are from Appendix B, but some are from The Hobbit or from the text of "The Lord of the Rings" itself. I do have some other materials from "Unfinished Tales" and "The History of Middle Earth", but since my hard-boud volumes 6 - 12 were stolen at the end of the Spring semester in school... I need to go to the library to track down the sources for hose again (they dealt with the assault on Dol Goldur, and whether the Ishtari would have been the only ones to participate in the assault or if there may have been help. I have been told that in The History of the Hobbit that there may be more information on this topic, but I have yet to get copies of the two volumes that are now out.
- Thanks for the help...
- Matthew 17:13, 24 August 2008 (UTC)