Forum:Ways to Keep Active
Seeing as more people are returning, I think we should brainstorm more ways to keep everyone active. Aside from the "Featured Quote" and the "Collaborations," I think we coulf add a debate aspect. Many good topics arose from the forums, such as "Tom Bombadil: Man or Maia?" We should formalize a place and rules, etc. for this.
Secondly, over at LotrFanatics, they use simply forums and pages like we use, to create a whole Wiki-wide role-play with houses, races, etc.
- Wow, very interesting idea. Prehaps you can begin a Role Playing Forum!!!--Galdor of the Havens 21:15, 10 December 2009 (UTC)
- Very good ideas. For a while I was inactive, but I'm slowly becoming more active. LotRfan01 18:15, 16 December 2009 (UTC)
- So should someone just create a new topic and then we can sort of create a character to Role Play in?--Galdor of the Havens 21:26, 17 December 2009 (UTC)
- I've been hesitant to add my opinion, because in principle that I don't want to do something doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done by those who want to - in a suitable corner. But I think this really going too far away from TG's core business, which is to provide a Tolkien encyclopedia and certain things related to that. This forum is also there to work towards that purpose. So I don't think it is a good idea. There are enough other places to do this. -- Mithrennaith 01:50, 18 December 2009 (UTC)
Doesn't it make sense though, to keep those peopl contributing to this encyclopedia active, so that it can be added to? If this is a good way, why not? I'm sure ides would get passed around faster, as those involved with Elves in the RP would contribute more to pages relating to Elves, thos involved with Men to pages on Men, etc. --Breragor • (Talk • Contribs • Edits) 01:58, 18 December 2009 (UTC)
Now that I think of it, it might not work out so well, I do not wish this to turn into another NationStates... I will not discourage the ideas here, but I will not join until there is proof of a successful RP topic, should someone create it. Just one suggestion I will give you; should you make a topic, create a STRICT RULESET that limits the number of topics made.--Galdor of the Havens 02:40, 18 December 2009 (UTC)
- I personally agree with Mithrennaith and think that if people want to role-play they can go elsewhere. I don't mean that in a nasty way, I just think it would detract from our core purpose.
- And, as someone who's been around this place for quite a while now, I can tell you we have enough trouble retaining editors for a decent amount of time, never mind trying to keep a whole RP community going. Furthermore, couldn't it have the reverse effect in that it distracts people from editing? And, again this isn't intended to be nasty, but do we want our articles to be edited by RPers because some have very different ideas about what's canon and what's not...
Ok, well I'm sorry I brought it up. The only reason it made sense to me, was that before this week, the last time I was on here was alsmot a year ago. There was nothing new, no one responds to my questions on the chat, and there weren't any meetings. --Breragor • (Talk • Contribs • Edits) 02:09, 19 December 2009 (UTC)
Well, I'm glad we all now are keeping fairly active abot this. I'm relatively new (only been on since late october) but I saw how the forums really picked up in the last few weeks. Keep the ideas flowing (not RP) and the site will continue to flourish.--Galdor of the Havens 03:10, 19 December 2009 (UTC)
- It is really interesting how this forum about keeping people active is really keeping people active.LotRfan01 05:03, 19 December 2009 (UTC)
There may have been people here, but no one really cares about certain important aspects of the site - and if others are driven away, then having 5-8 active people, which there are, realy isn't much.—Unsigned comment by Breragor (talk • contribs).
- I agree that there should be some more meetings as the last was in April. I also agree that we should make more of an effort to be in chat. All I want is more editors! --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 11:45, 19 December 2009 (UTC)