Richard C. West
Richard C. West (August 1944) is an awarded Tolkien scholar and the Serials and Technical Services Librarian at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. When he was still a student, he also started a Tolkien Society there , the University of Wisconsin Tolkien Society, in September 1966. He has also contributed to its yearly journal, Orcrist.
- 1970: Tolkien Criticism: An Annotated Checklist (first edition)
- 1981: Tolkien Criticism: An Annotated Checklist (second, updated edition)
- 2004: A Tolkien Checklist: Selected Criticism 1981-2004
- 1966/1967: Orcrist 1 (co-editor)
- "Tolkien in the Letters of C. S. Lewis"
- "The Interlace and Professor Tolkien: Medieval Narrative Technique in The Lord of the Rings"
- "An Annotated Bibliography of Tolkien Criticism"
- 1967/1968: Orcrist 2 (co-editor)
- "The Tolkienians: Some Introductory Reflections on Alan Garner, Carol Kendall, and Lloyd Alexander"
- "An Annotated Bibliography of Tolkien Criticism, Supplement One"
- 1969/1970: Orcrist 3 (editor)
- "Contemporary Medieval Authors"
- "An Annotated Bibliography of Tolkien Criticism, Supplement Two"
- 1970: Orcrist 4 (editor)
- "Progress Report on the Variorum Tolkien"
- "A Dose of Double Dactyls" (with various others)
- 1971: Orcrist 5 (editor)
- "Errata to Orcrist no. 4"
- "The Critics, and Tolkien, and C. S. Lewis: Reviews"
- "An Annotated Bibliography of Tolkien Criticism, Supplement Three"
- 1971/1972: Orcrist 6 (editor)
- "Letters of C. S. Lewis to E. Vinaver"
- "In Review"
- "Double dactyls" (with various others)
- 1973: Orcrist 7 (editor)
- "Malory and T. H. White"
- "Brief Mentions"
- 1975: A Tolkien Compass
- "The Interlace Structure of The Lord of the Rings" (published in Orcrist 1)
- 1977: Orcrist 8 (editor)
- 2000: Tolkien's Legendarium
- "Túrin's Ofermod: An Old English Theme in the Development of the Story of Túrin"
- 2005: Tolkien Studies: Volume 2
- "'And She Named Her Own Name': Being True To One's Word in Tolkien's Middle-earth"
- 2006: J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment, entries:
- Finnish Language
- Lays of Beleriand, The
- Lewis, Warren Hamilton (1895-1973)
- Matthew, Fr. Anthony Gervase (1905-76)
- Sayers, Dorothy Leigh (1893-1957)
- Tolkien Scholarship: First Decades: 1954-1980
- 2011: Picturing Tolkien: Essays on Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings Film Trilogy
- "Neither the Shadow nor the Twilight: The Love Story of Aragorn and Arwen in Literature and Film"
- 2014: Tolkien in the New Century: Essays in Honor of Tom Shippey
- "'Lack of Counsel Not of Courage': J.R.R. Tolkien's Critique of the Heroic Ethos in The Children of Húrin"
- 1976: Mythopoeic Award, Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Inkling Studies, Tolkien Criticism: An Annotated Checklist