The Variags were a little-known people who dwelt in the land of Khand.
Variag is a Slavic word derived from Norse Varingar "mercenary people" (vár "contract"). The Varamgoa Guard were Norse body-guards of the Byzantine Emperor and founded Kiev. In modern Russian it means "travelling pedlar".
It has been suggested that Tolkien adopted the Slavic term to indicate that the Variags were possibly mercenaries serving a possible Lord of Khand.
 Portrayal in adaptations
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- Variags of Khand is a Man Faction.
 See also
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The West of Middle-earth at the End of the Third Age" [map]
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, The Appendix on Languages
- ↑ Jim Allan (1978), An Introduction to Elvish, Obscure Languages
- ↑ S. Coleman Charlton (1993), Middle-earth Role Playing (2nd edition, hardcover) (#2000)
- ↑ Peter C. Fenlon, Jr. et al. (1987), Lords of Middle-earth Vol II: The Mannish Races (#8003)