This page may need to be pluralized. --Ted C 17:53, 20 October 2006 (EDT)
- Thanks Ted, I've gone ahead and moved it. --Hyarion 17:59, 20 October 2006 (EDT)
Are Morgul blades essentially the same as Morgul arrows?
- Actually, the name *Morgul blade is not once mentioned in the LoTR. Boromir (the older one) is told to have received a Morgul-wound in the war but we are not told what was the actual weapon. The blade that pierced Frodo's shoulder is (only once) called a Morgul-knife, elsewhere it's only (accursed / long thin / deadly / cruel... ) knife which (naturally) has a blade, e.g. "the blade seemed to melt – – leaving only the hilt in Strider's hand" / "cruel knife with notched blade" / "fragment of the blade" / ... Then there is the Ringwraith at the door in Crickhollow: "In the dark without moon or stars a drawn blade gleamed". Who knows if this was a "Morgul-knife" or what? Perhaps only a sword, but I think the word blade here refers to the gleaming steel and not to the weapon as such. The word 'blade' used separately usually refers to a sword, I think.
- Thus I would like to call the weapon primarily "Morgul-knife" and perhaps even forget completely the name "Morgul blade". What it comes to Boromir, I suppose that Morgul-wound could be treated separately from the Morgul-knife as we don't know was it received from an arrow, a sword, a knife or what. But we know the consequences of the wound: they are quite different from that inflicted at the Weathertop, resembling more those seen during the Siege of Minas Tirith. --Tik 07:33, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for your observations, Tik. I've moved the page and removed the statements about "Morgul blades" and Boromir's wound. More work is needed on the page, though!--Morgan 08:07, 13 April 2016 (UTC)
- Ok, thanks for helping me understand this.
I was on the To-Do page and saw this article as needing additional citations; however, when I look at it, it seems to have a sufficient number of such. Should it still be in this category? --Holdwine Meriadoc (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 19:40, 3 June 2019 (UTC)