|"Friendship between peoples" by Marya Filatova|
|Gallery||Images of Arod|
Arod was a light horse of Rohan. He bore a Knight of Rohan in Éomer's éored that engaged the Orcs outside Fangorn. His rider was lost during the skirmish, but Arod himself survived and remained with the rest of the éored on their way back. In the Wold, Éomer gave him to Legolas.
Arod served his new rider faithfully, and for much of this time, Arod carried also Legolas's friend Gimli. At the Paths of the Dead Legolas spoke Elvish to calm the beast so that he would enter the Dark Door. Presumably he bore Legolas on his way throughout the War of the Ring and during the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Legolas and Gimli rode upon Arod with the rest of their company to take Théoden's body from the Hallows in Minas Tirith, to rest in Edoras.
 Portrayal in adaptations
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Riders of Rohan"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Passing of the Grey Company"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Robert Foster, The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, entry "Arod"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Many Partings"
- ↑ Vinyar Tengwar, Number 41, July 2000, p. 9