Forest of Region
Populated by Sindar, Region formed the southern and greater part of the Kingdom of Doriath. It was bounded by the rivers Aros and Esgalduin south of Dor Dínen, and the Girdle of Melian. Menegroth lay in that forest.
Region is given as Doriathrin. The base is the word reg ("holly tree"), with perhaps the toponymical ending -ion (*"holly-land") or a plural genitive ending -ion (as in Quenya), having the meaning *"(Land) of Hollies".
Note that the name is unrelated to the English word "region (of land)", and thus is to be pronounced with a hard g.
 See also
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Thingol and Melian"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Three: "The Etymologies"
- ↑ Helge Fauskanger, "Doriathrin", Ardalambion (accessed 21 October 2021), entries regorn, -ion where both possibilities are mentioned
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix E, "Pronunciation of Words and Names"