The One Ring (role-playing game)
The One Ring is a role-playing game published by Cubicle 7 Entertainment (under license from Sophisticated Games), released in August 2011. The game is written by Francesco Nepitello, and features artwork by John Howe and other artists. In November 2019, the publisher decided to end the licensing agreement with Sophisticated Games, due to contractual differences. In 2021, a new edition has been announced on Kickstarter, for crowdfunding, under the publisher Free League and it has been released in October of the same year.
The initial release (originally planned to be first of a trilogy), The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild, is based in the area of northern Mirkwood, after the events of The Hobbit and before the War of the Ring. The Second Edition of The One Ring is now set in the lone-lands of Eriador, in the year 2965 of the Third Age, moving the focus of the game to the lands of Old Arnor, with a full description of the town of Bree, including also famous locales like Weathertop, Fornost and Annuminas, providing the players with a new starting point for their adventures.
 Game system
The One Ring uses custom dice, specifically a twelve sided die numbered 1-10, the "Eye of Sauron", and the "Gandalf" Rune (a Cirth G rune, r), and 6 sided dice numbered normally, but with the 1-3 being in outline, 4-5 solid, and 6 solid having also the Tengwar Lambe rune, j . Standard 12-sided dice can be used, counting 11 as Sauron, and 12 as Gandalf, and standard 6 sided dice as well.
- 2011: The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
- Loremaster's Book (for GMs)
- Adventurer's Book (for players)
- 2012: Words of the Wise
- 2012: Tales from Wilderland
- 2012: The One Ring Dice Set
- 2012: Loremaster's Screen and Lake-town Sourcebook
- 2013: The Heart of the Wild
- 2013: Hobbit Tales from the Green Dragon Inn
- 2014: The Darkening of Mirkwood
- 2014: Rivendell
- 2015: Ruins of the North
- 2016: Journeys and Maps
- 2016: Erebor - The Lonely Mountain
- 2021: The One Ring, Second Edition
- ↑ 'The One Ring' RPG at ICv2.com (accessed 20 April 2011)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Cubicle7.co.uk (accessed 11 August 2011)
- ↑ Unexpected The One Ring 2 Update
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Kickstarter Page of 'The One Ring'
- ↑ The One Ring: Characters at Cubicle7.co.uk (accessed 20 June 2011)
- ↑ The One Ring RPG, Adventurer Book, pages 24-25
|Licensed Pen-and-paper RPGs set in Middle-earth|
|Iron Crown Enterprises:||(1982-1997) Middle-earth Role Playing · (1991-1993) Lord of the Rings Adventure Game|
|Decipher:||(2002-2005) The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game · (2001) The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Adventure Game|
|Cubicle 7:||(2011-) The One Ring · (2016-) Adventures in Middle-earth|