Battles of Beleriand
|Previous war: Battle of the Powers|
|Next war: War of the Elves and Sauron|
|Wars of Beleriand|
|Beginning: Y.T. 1497||End: F.A. 587|
|Place: Throughout Beleriand and the lands northward|
|Outcome: Victory for the Elves and allies|
|Major battles: First Battle, Dagor-nuin-Giliath, Dagor Aglareb, Dagor Bragollach, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, War of Wrath|
- "The Jewels were coveted by Morgoth the Enemy, who stole them and, after destroying the Trees, took them to Middle-earth, and guarded them in his great fortress of Thangorodrim. Against the will of the Valar Fëanor forsook the Blessed Realm and went in exile to Middle-earth, leading with him a great part of his people; for in his pride he purposed to recover the Jewels from Morgoth by force. Thereafter followed the hopeless war of the Eldar and the Edain against Thangorodrim, in which they were at last utterly defeated."
- ― The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Númenor"
The Wars of Beleriand , also known as the War of the Jewels or the War of the Great Jewels (as the Silmarilli led to most of them) were a series of great conflicts throughout the Elder Days pertaining of the vain attempts of the Noldor to reclaim the Silmarils from the Dark Lord Morgoth.
From his mighty fortress of Angband, Morgoth used this base from which to launch his attacks on the peoples of Beleriand. While the Noldor had some victories, the Doom of Mandos always hung over their efforts.
 Major Battles
The following are the major battles listed chronologically:
- The First Battle was fought before the Noldor arrived, and was fought by the Sindar, Laiquendi, and Dwarves of the Blue Mountains.
- The Dagor-nuin-Giliath, or Battle-under-Stars, fought by the Noldor following Fëanor and his Seven Sons.
- The Dagor Aglareb, or Glorious Battle, which led to the Siege of Angband.
- The Dagor Bragollach, or Battle of Sudden Flame, in which Ard-galen burned and many Noldor, including King Fingolfin, were slain.
- The Nirnaeth Arnoediad or Battle of Unnumbered Tears, in which the Union of Maedhros was utterly broken by Morgoth.
- Fall of the Falas, in which the havens of Brithombar and Eglarest were sacked and fell, took place after the Nirnaeth.
- Sack of Bar-en-Danwedh, in which the Gaurwaith were destroyed and Dor-Cúarthol lost.
- Battle of Tumhalad, followed by the Sack of Nargothrond, where the city was destroyed by Glaurung and his Orcs.
- Fall of Gondolin, in which Morgoth's hosts besieged and destroyed the Noldor and their citadel of Gondolin, killing King Turgon.
- The War of Wrath, which defeated Morgoth, ended the First Age of Arda, and destroyed most of Beleriand.
 See also
- The Kinslayings, three conflicts caused by the House of Fëanor against other Elves to claim the Silmarilli:
- A brief conflict involving the Dwarves coveting the Nauglamir:
|Wars of Beleriand|
|First Battle · Dagor-nuin-Giliath · Dagor Aglareb · Dagor Bragollach · Nirnaeth Arnoediad · War of Wrath|