Doris Elizabeth Sykes ?Early July 1956
- Subject: Discussion of Syke's illustrations inspired by The Lord of the Rings. Sykes had sent Tolkien a second set of illustrations.
- Description: Handwritten.
- Publication: Quotations from the letter and a reproduction were included in Christie's Fine Printed Books and Manuscripts 18 June 2013 (p. 12).
- "Again he expresses appreciation for her art, and asks if she would like her earlier drawings returned. An illustrated Lord of the Rings is still unlikely in the near future."
- ― 
- "The second letter discusses the drawings further, and offers to send a defective set of the novels (the author lacking any perfect set) for Miss Sykes to carry on her work from, though any prospect of publication remains slight. "
- ― 
 See also
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Wayne G. Hammond, Christina Scull, "Addenda and Corrigenda to The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (2006) Vol. 1: Chronology" dated 16 June 2013, Hammond&Scull.com (accessed 17 October 2013)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "TWO AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED ('J.R.R. TOLKIEN') TO DORIS SYKES (Sale 8952, Lot 30)" dated 18 June 2013, Christies.com/ (accessed 17 October 2013)