|Smaug (birth unknown – Third Age 2941) was the greatest fire-breathing dragon of the Third Age. Details of his origin are unknown, but in T.A. 2770 he attacked the Lonely Mountain and the town of Dale. He claimed the treasure of the mountain for himself and forced Thrór, King under the Mountain, and his people into exile. Thorin's quest - with the help of his burglar Bilbo Baggins - to reclaim the treasure ended in success when Smaug was slain by Bard in T.A. 2941.
- "But do you remember Gandalf's words: Even Gollum may have something yet to do? But for him, Sam, I could not have destroyed the Ring. The Quest would have been in vain, even at the bitter end. So let us forgive him! For the Quest is achieved and now all is over. I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Mount Doom"
Countdown to The Hobbit films
|As part of the countdown to the release of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, let's work together to improve our most popular articles relating to The Hobbit.|
141 days to go until The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is released.
On this day... (29 July)
- 1954 - The Fellowship of the Ring is published.
- 1966 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Michael Tolkien, partly published as Letter 289.
- 1966 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Max Rouslin
- 1985 - Mythcon XVI in Wheaton, Illinois.
- 1988 - Mythcon XIX in Berkeley, California.
- 1989 - Mythcon XX at University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
- 1991 - Mythcon XXII in San Diego, California.
- 1994 - Tyalië Tyelelliéva issue 1 is published.
- 1996 - Mythcon XXVII at University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado.
- 2002 - Mythcon XXXIII at Boulder, Colorado.
- 2004 - Mythcon XXXV at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
- 2004 - The Lord of the Rings Symphony at Heinz Hall in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 2006 - ELF 2006 in Secaucus, New Jersey.
- 2007 - MerpCon III in Spokane, Washington.
- 2008 - the 1968 radio series of The Hobbit is re-released in the USA including interviews with J.R.R. Tolkien.