Tolkien Gateway:Featured articlesTolkien Gateway are considered to be our very best articles, as judged by its editors. They are the articles we take especial pride in, and show an example to the world of our very best work, and as a model to editors for how to write other articles. As such, featured articles are showcased on the Main Page.
To achieve the status of featured article, candidate articles must meet 10 criteria before being reviewed by editors of accuracy, completeness, referencing, length, and style according to our featured article criteria. Since introducing the nomination format in 2008, Tolkien Gateway has had a total of 7 featured articles out of 11,514 articles, i.e. only 0.06% are featured, or one in every 1645 articles.
 Nomination process
- Main article: Tolkien Gateway:Featured articles/Nominations
Any registered user can nominate an article for featured status. It should be well-written, complete, illustrated, and referenced and meet these specific criteria:
After nomination, an article should receive five votes with with no objections within a month or so; each user being able to cast one vote.''
- The text is entirely written by TG editors with correct English spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- There are no outstanding maintenance templates on the article;
- The article is well-referenced throughout, leaving the reader under no illusions as to where to source information themselves;
- The article conforms to TG's Standards, as well as those laid out in the relevant Project;
- The text is sprinkled with relevant images (including captions) of appropriate size - if necessary, including a gallery;
- Articles are at least 5,000 bytes long;
- Where applicable, contains "History", "Portrayal in Adaptations", "In Other Versions of the Legendarium", "See Also", "Genealogy", "Etymology", "Other Names and Titles" and "Bibliography" sections;
- Where applicable, full use has been made of relevant templates, e.g.: disambiguation, see also, main, navigation, pronounce, familytree, sequence;
- Where applicable, contains interwiki links;
- Preferably no red-links, but no more than half-a-dozen.
- Main article: Tolkien Gateway:Featured articles/Archive
Former featured articles remain in after they have stopped being featured on the Main Page. The dates below indicate when they were featured on the Main Page.
|Aragorn||1 June 2008||9 April 2009|
|Witch-king||9 April 2009||6 December 2009|
|Glamdring||6 December 2009||28 February 2011|
|Eriador||28 February 2011||24 June 2011|
|Smaug||24 June 2011||23 August 2014|
|Radagast||23 August 2014||present|
 See also
- Featured quotes, for a similar process with quotations.