- 2 - In honour of his 80th birthday the following day, The Sunday Times Magazine runs an interview of William Cater with J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Lord of the Legends".
- 3 - J.R.R. Tolkien celebrates his 80th birthday.
- 3 - The Tolkien Society wishes J.R.R. Tolkien a happy 80th birthday in The Times.
- 3 - The Tolkien Society sends Tolkien a jar of tobacco as a birthday present.
- 15 - The Tolkien Society holds a general meeting and becomes formally constituted.
- 24 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 332.
- 30 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to his grandson Michael George Tolkien.
- 30 - Actress Jennifer Hale is born.
- 2 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Dorothy Wood.
- 6 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Vera Chapman and the Tolkien Society.
- 9 - Actor Crispin Freeman is born.
- 26 - Actor Keith Ferguson is born.
- 16 - Tolkien writes letter 333.
- 27 - Rayner Unwin organizes a party in celebration of J.R.R. Tolkien's CBE the following day.
- 28 - At Buckingham Palace, J.R.R. Tolkien is appointed a CBE by Queen Elizabeth II.
- 30 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 334.
- 19 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Eva Heilborn.
- 28 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Mrs Robertson.
- 18 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 335.
- 23 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 336.
- 25 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 337.
- 6 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 338.
- 11 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Robert Burchfield.
- 27 - Vera Chapman meets J.R.R. Tolkien. He agrees to become The Tolkien Society's Honorary President.
- 30 - Mythcon 3 begins.
- 30 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 339.
- 4 - Mythcon 3 ends.
- 4 - Letter 339 is published in the Daily Telegraph.
- 11 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 340.
- 27 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a certificate of authenticity for the sale of his desk.
- 12 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Rayner Unwin.
- 21 - Actor Felix Felton dies.
- ? - Master of Middle-earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien is published.
- 1 - J.R.R. Tolkien's desk is sold at Sotheby's.
- 9 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 342.
- 21 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 343.
- 23 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 344.
- 30 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes letter 345.
- ? - J.R.R. Tolkien returns to Oxford and rooms at Merton College.
- ? - Tolkien receives an honorary doctorate from Oxford University.
- ? - The Swedish Tolkien Society Forodrim is founded.
- ? - Scholar Anne C. Petty presents her Ph.D. thesis The Creative Mythology of J.R.R. Tolkien: A Study of the Mythic Impulse.
- ? - Scholar Stefan Ekman is born.
- ? - A Glossary of the Eldarin Tongues is published.
- ? - Mallorn 5 is published.
1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975