Letter to Dr. Denis Tolhurst
(Redirected from Dr. Denis Tolhurst 20 April 1973)
- Description: The letter was found loosely inserted in an inscribed copy of The Lord of the Rings (to Dr. and Mrs. Tolhurst, "May 21 1973 Denis & Joycelyn from Ronald"). Signed by Tolkien ("your loving "Dad"") to Dr. Tolhurst ("Physician Extraordinary"). 2 pages, oblong 8vo, Good Friday [20 April] 1973.
- Contents: Tolkien notes an imminent gathering of his family "...to hear what the Govt. and their trustee lawyer are going to let them have to live on this year out of Dad's earnings..." He notes he is "feeling refreshed" and states "...the good domestic cooking of plain English style has restored my appetite." Discussing the weather Tolkien notes "...as far as we are concerned your 'Spring is a-coming in' is an unfulfilled prophecy with rustic accuracy and lack of 'delicacy', as a time when heorst sterteth, bulluc verteth ie 'hart leaps up, and bullock farts'... Tolkien ends with reference to what would be his final visit: "...I warn you that I shall be eager to accept any invitation to your lovely house at any time when you feel you can bear it..."
- Publication: None. A description of the letter appeared in Sotheby's English Literature, History, Fine Bindings, Private Press Books, Children's Books, Illustrated Books and Drawings 10 July 2003.
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, p. 771
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Up for sale on ebay", The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Plaza: Forum (accessed 11 November 2012)
- ↑ "English Literature and History. 2003", TolkienBooks.net (accessed 11 November 2012)