Marjorie J. Burns
Her Ph.D. is from UC Berkeley and focuses on the nineteenth-century British novel. She has been on the faculty of Portland State University for over thirty years, where she teaches courses on nineteenth-century British literature, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Norse and Celtic mythology, and more. She has lectured on Tolkien throughout the United States, as well as Australia, Norway, England, and The Netherlands.
 Bibliography, selected
- 2006: Perilous Realms: Celtic And Norse in Tolkien's Middle-earth
- 2006: J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment (associate editor with Douglas A. Anderson, Verlyn Flieger, and Tom Shippey)
 Articles and Chapters
- 1988: Mythlore: A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams, Number 53, Vol. 14, no. 3, spring 1988
- "The Anonymous Fairy Tale: Ruskin's The King of the Golden River" (pp.38-42)
- 1989: Mythlore: A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams, Number 58, Vol. 15, no. 4, summer 1989
- "J.R.R. Tolkien and the Journey North" (pp.5-9)
- 1990: Pacific Coast Philology, Vol. XXV, No. 1-2, Nov. 1990
- "J.R.R. Tolkien: The British and Norse in Tension" (pp.49-59)
- 1991: Studies in Medievalism, Vol. III, no. 3-4, winter, spring 1991
- "Echos of William Morris' Icelandic Journals in J.R.R. Tolkien" (pp.367-373)
- 1995: Proceedings of the J.R.R. Tolkien Centenary Conference
- "Eating, Devouring, Sacrifice and Ultimate Just Desserts" (pp.108-114)
- 1998: Between Faith and Fiction: Tolkien and the Powers of His World
- "All in One, One in All," (pp.2-15)
- 1998: Proceedings of Unquendor's Third Lustrum Conference
- "Spiders and Evil Red Eyes" (pp.40-54)
- 2000: Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth
- "Gandalf and Odin" (pp.219-31)
- 2002: 2001: A Tolkien Odyssey
- "Bridges, Gates, and Doors" (pp.77-104)
- 2004: Tolkien and the Invention of Myth
- "Norse and Christian Gods: The Integrative Theology of J.R.R. Tolkien" (pp.163-78)
- 2006: J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment
- "Old Norse Literature"
- "Tour in the Alps, 1911"
- 2006: The Lord of the Rings 1954-2004
- "King and Hobbit: The Exalted and Lowly in Tolkien's Created Worlds" (pp.139-51)
- 2007: Tolkien Studies: Volume 4
- "Tracking the Elusive Hobbit (In Its Pre-Shire Den)" (pp.200-211)
- 2008: The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005 Conference
- "Containment and Progression in J.R.R. Tolkien's World"
- 2014: Tolkien in the New Century: Essays in Honor of Tom Shippey
- "Night-wolves, Half-trolls and the Dead Who Won't Stay Down"