Roger Verhulst 8 April 1966
- Contents: Tolkien objects (and declines) to participate in the Eerdmans’ book project. The letter also mentions the Charles Williams book project and Charles Williams’ wife. Tolkien talkes about The Silmarillion, mentioning C.S. Lewis is one of the few people who has read parts of the manuscript and that the chief obstacle to its publication is the mass of Tolkien's correspondence.
- Authenticity: High
- Publication: Quotes from the letter have been provided in Tolkien and The Silmarillion and in W.H. Auden: A Legacy. A description of the letter has appeared in the catalogue Christie's Fine Printed Books and Manuscripts 28 November 2011 (lot 258).
- Description: One page, 76 Sandfield Road, dictated by Tolkien and signed by Phyllis M. Jenkinson (Tolkien's assistant)
 Image gallery
 See also
- Rod Jellema 1966
- Roger Verhulst 9 March 1966
- Roger Verhulst 3 May 1966
- Roger Verhulst 4 December 1967