(Redirected from Tolman Cotton Senior)
|Other names||"Tom", Farmer Cotton|
|Birth||S.R. 1341 |
|Death||S.R. 1440 (aged 99)|
|Children||Tom, Rosie, Jolly, Nick and Nibs|
|Gallery||Images of Tolman Cotton|
Tolman comes from Old English tōl + mann meaning "tool person". In early phases of writing Appendix F, Farmer Cotton's original Westron name was given as Tomacca Lothran or (earlier) Tomakli Lothron.
 Portrayal in Adaptations
- Old Tom joins the four Hobbits as they start a revolt. He was always confident of Frodo and Sam's return. He is played by Alan Dudley.
- The Cottons live at South Lane in Bywater. Tolman lives at number 3 and his son Wilcome at number 5.
- A Hobbit with a large pumpkin from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is identified by Decipher as being Tolman Cotton.
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Tom lives with his family at a farm just north of Bywater and next to the Three Farthing Stone. During the Farmers Faire he can be found at the mushroom tent near the Three Farthing Stone chatting with Farmer Maggot and Hamfast Gamgee.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "The Longfather-tree of Master Samwise"
- ↑ Jim Allan (1978), An Introduction to Elvish, "Giving of Names" p. 194
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages", note 37.