|Realms||Gondor, Reunited Kingdom|
|Other names||Langstrand, Andafalasse|
|Events||War of the Ring|
During the War of the Ring, the people of the Anfalas were harassed at the coasts by the Corsairs of Umbar. Lord Golasgil led a long line of scantily equipped hunters and fishermen, and also his own household, to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
Anfalas means "Long Shore/Beach" in Sindarin (and + falas). It is also translated as Andafalasse in Quenya and Langstrand in Westron. Tolkien noted that the shortening of long to lang is very frequent in English place-names.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "Preface"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Minas Tirith"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 135
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor" (edited by Carl F. Hostetter), in Vinyar Tengwar, Number 42, July 2001, p. 15
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings" in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 773