The Calaquendi included the Vanyar, Noldor, and those Teleri (the Falmari) who passed over Belegaer, as well as the Sindarin King Thingol (alone of all his people). Another name for them was the Amanyar (with the exception of Thingol, who was not counted among them), "Those of Aman". Those kindreds who settled in Aman or descended from them were also referred to as High Elves, or Tareldar in the lore of the Dúnedain.
Those of the Elves who refused the summons of the Valar or did not complete the Great Journey to Valinor were called the Úmanyar, meaning "Not of Aman" and "Moriquendi", or Dark Elves (those who had not seen the light). King Elu Thingol of Doriath held the unique status of being both among the Calaquendi and the Úmanyar, since he originally saw the Light, being one of the three ambassadors brought to Aman by Oromë, but did not return to Aman during the Great Journey.
By the later Third Age, most of the High Elves resided in or had returned to Aman; only a few remained in Middle-earth, some in Rivendell. Wandering Companies of High Elves would traverse Eriador and the Shire from time to time; Frodo Baggins recognised one of those bands as being High Elves, because of chanting the name of Elbereth.
 Other versions of the legendarium
 See also
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, pp. 349, 360
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "X. Of Dwarves and Men", "The Atani and their Languages"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Three is Company"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Flies and Spiders"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, "Appendix A: Origins of the Legend", p. 359
(Quendi · People of the Stars · Firstborn · Elder Kindred)
(Eldar · Eldalië · Edhil)
|Vanyar (Fair-elves · Minyar) · Noldor (Deep-elves · Tatyar) · Teleri (Lindar · Nelyar)|
(High-elves · Amanyar)
|Vanyar · Noldor · Falmari|
|Úmanyar:||Sindar (Grey-elves · Eglath · Falathrim) · Nandor (Green-elves · Silvan Elves)|
|Moriquendi:||Úmanyar · Avari (Dark Elves · The Unwilling)|
|See also:||Awakening of the Elves · Sundering of the Elves · Great Journey|