Carl F. Hostetter
Carl Franklin Hostetter (August 6, 1965) is a key figure of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship. He is the author of numerous articles on Tolkienian linguistics, and the editor of two journals on the subject, Vinyar Tengwar (print) and Tengwestië (online). Hostetter has also contributed to various mailing-lists dedicated to Tolkien's languages, including Tolklang and Elfling. After a (still ongoing) dispute with David Salo and Helge Fauskanger, he set up Lambengolmor and Elfling-d. Together with Christopher Gilson, Arden R. Smith, Bill Welden, and Patrick H. Wynne (called by some the "Elfconners"), he has been engaged by Christopher Tolkien in the ordering, editing, and publishing of J.R.R. Tolkien's writings concerning his invented languages, which have been published as Parma Eldalamberon numbers 11 through 22 (and continuing) and in Vinyar Tengwar.
- "I didn't start the E.L.F., I didn't launch VT, I don't edit Parma, and I'm not the chief editor of Tolkien's linguistic papers; I just do my part. Mostly, I'm just the one tenacious/stupid enough to act as a human target for the team, and for the fullness and reality of Tolkien's linguistic inventions."
- ― Carl F. Hostetter, Elfling-d message 686
- 1990: Vinyar Tengwar 14
- "The War of the Ring: A Linguistic Review"
- 1991: Mythlore 65
- "Over Middle-earth Sent unto Men: On the Philological Origins of Tolkien's Eärendil Myth"
- 1992: Vinyar Tengwar 21
- "Sí man i·yulmar n(g)win enquatuva"
- 1992: Vinyar Tengwar 24
- "Sauron Defeated: A Linguistic Review"
- "'Verbs, Syntax! Hooray!': A Preliminary Assessment of Adunaic Grammar" (with Patrick H. Wynne)
- 1992: Vinyar Tengwar 25
- "An Adunaic Dictionary" (with Patrick H. Wynne)
- 1992: Vinyar Tengwar 26
- "Uglúk to the Dung-pit"
- 1993: Amon Hen 122
- "Settled Spells"
- 1993: Vinyar Tengwar 28
- 1993: Vinyar Tengwar 31
- "The 'King's Letter': An Historical and Comparative Analysis"
- 1994: Vinyar Tengwar 34
- "Morgoth's Ring: A Linguistic Review - Part I" (with Patrick H. Wynne)
- 1994: Vinyar Tengwar 35
- "Morgoth's Ring: A Linguistic Review - Part II" (with Patrick H. Wynne)
- 1995: Proceedings of the J.R.R. Tolkien Centenary Conference
- "A Mythology for England" (with Arden R. Smith)
- 1995: Parma Eldalamberon 11
- 1998: Parma Eldalamberon 12
- 1998: Vinyar Tengwar 39
- "From Quendi & Eldar, Appendix D" (editor)
- "Ósanwe-kenta" (editor)
- 2000: Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth
- "Three Elvish Verse Modes: Ann-thennath, Minlamad thent / estent, and Linnod" (with Patrick H. Wynne)
- 2000: Vinyar Tengwar 41
- "Etymological Notes on the Ósanwe-kenta" (editor)
- "From The Shibboleth of Fëanor" (editor)
- "Notes on Óre" (editor)
- 2001: Vinyar Tengwar 42
- "The Rivers and Beacon Hills of Gondor" (editor)
- 2002: Vinyar Tengwar 43
- 2002: Vinyar Tengwar 44
- 2003: Parma Eldalamberon 14
- "Early Qenya Grammar" (J.R.R. Tolkien, edited with Bill Welden)
- 2003: Vinyar Tengwar 45
- "Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies - Part One" (J.R.R. Tolkien, edited with Patrick H. Wynne)
- 2004: Vinyar Tengwar 46
- "Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies - Part Two" (J.R.R. Tolkien, edited with Patrick H. Wynne)
- 2004: Tolkien Studies: Volume 1
- "Sir Orfeo: A Middle English Version By J.R.R. Tolkien"
- 2006: Parma Eldalamberon 16
- 2007: Tolkien Studies: Volume 4, April
- "Tolkienian Linguistics: The First Fifty Years"
- 2007: Vinyar Tengwar, Number 49, June
- "Five Late Quenya Volitive Inscriptions" by J.R.R. Tolkien (editor)
- 2009: Tolkien Studies: Volume 6
- "Fate and Free Will" (editor)
- 2013: Vinyar Tengwar 50
- "The 'Túrin Wrapper'" (editor)
- 2002 - Mythopoeic Award, Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Inklings Studies, Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on the History of Middle-earth