|Location||Central Eriador, just north and east of Bree|
Prior to the settlement of the Shire many Hobbits lived in Bree and in the Chetwood nearby. When Strider led the four hobbits out of Bree they spent three days in the Chetwood before descending to the Midgewater Marshes.
It represents a possible Old Hobbitish Cetwudu "wood".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Hobbits"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Knife in the Dark"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings" in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 765
- ↑ David Salo, "Hobbitish Place-names" dated 23 November 1998, Elfling (accessed 24 November 2014)