Council of Gondor
It was traditional among the Men of Númenor for the King to maintain a Council of the Sceptre composed of nobles from each of the main regions of Númenor, together with the King's Heir as advisers.
Their descendants in Gondor followed a similar system made up from representatives of each of the South-kingdom's separate lands, probably in addition to the King's heir, and apparently the Steward as well.
The Council took authority over the realm after the loss of Ondoher left it kingless in T.A. 1944, and it acted under the control of Steward Pelendur. In T.A. 1945 Prince Arvedui of Arthedain, whose wife was Ondoher's daughter, invoked the Law of Succession in Númenor to claim the throne of Gondor; the Council voted against his claim, in favour of Ondoher's distant relative, Eärnil II.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife", Note 23
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Siege of Gondor"