|Birth||T.A. 130 |
|Heritage||Half-elven father, Elf mother|
|Parentage||Elrond and Celebrían|
|Siblings||Elladan (twin) and Arwen|
|Clothing||Bright mail, silver-grey cloak|
|Gallery||Images of Elrohir|
In the year T.A. 2509, the twins' mother Celebrían went on a journey into the south to visit her own mother, Galadriel, in the land of Lórien. In the Redhorn Pass, she was captured by orcs, and tortured in their dens. Elrohir rode with his brother to rescue her, but by the time they reached her she had received a poisonous wound. Though their father healed her, she would not remain in Middle-earth, and sailed into the West the following year. After this loss, Elladan and Elrohir were filled with hatred of the orcs, often riding against them with the Northern Dúnedain.
In the early part of the War of the Ring, the brothers' main role was to scout the land and prepare the way for the Fellowship, but later they took a more active part. When Halbarad rode to Aragorn's aid with the Grey Company, Elladan and Elrohir accompanied them. They followed Aragorn through the Paths of the Dead, fought with him at Pelargir, and took part in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, where they fought with stars bound to their brows.
After the War of the Ring, little is known of the brothers' fate. They returned to their father's house at Rivendell, and remained there even after he had passed across the Sea. Like their sister Arwen, the sons of Elrond Half-elven were granted the choice of whether to leave Middle-earth for the Undying Lands, or remain there and become mortal as men. So they chose for a time at least, to stay in Middle-earth for reasons unknown.
 Other versions of the legendarium
 Portrayal in adaptationsThe Lord of the Rings (1979 radio series):
2001-2007: The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game:
- Despite not featuring in The Lord of the Rings film series, Decipher produced a card depicting the character.
- Elrohir and Elladan, as in many other adaptations, look very similar. But unlike Elladan, Elrohir wears a helmet.
Elrohir and Elladan were sent by their father, Elrond, to Fornost, to scout the city for enemies. Here they meet Eradan, Andriel and Farin, who were sent by Aragorn to stop Agandaûr's army from attacking. The collaborate with each other, as they have the same goal, and fight a way to the Citadel of the city. There, Elrohir and his brother remove the magic spell of the Citadel gate, which protects Agandaûr against intruders. Inside the citadel, Eradan, Andriel and Farin kill Tharzog - leader of the Orcs - while Elladan and Elrohir fight Agandaûr. During the fight Agandaûr has the upper hand. But when Eradan, Farin and Andriel arrive, Agandaûr flees on the back of a Fell beast. Elladan and Elrohir return to Rivendell, where Elrond is informed about the events in Fornost.
 See also
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix F, "The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age", "Of the Elves"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Passing of the Grey Company"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Many Meetings"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Note on the Shire Records"
- ↑ Cf. for example Robert Foster, The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, entries for Elladan and Elrohir.
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Chapter 1: Fornost, Inner wards
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Chapter 1: Fornost, The Citadel
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: War in the North, Chapter 1: Fornost, Citadel tower