|Location||Eastern Eriador, west of Rivendell|
|Inhabitants||A few Trolls, if any|
|Description||A wild forest on the north side of the East-West Road|
|Events||Quest of Erebor|
|References||The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Appendix A|
Trollshaws were the upland woods, consisting at least partly of beech trees, that lay to the west of Rivendell between the Rivers Hoarwell and Loudwater. They were the haunt of Trolls, three of which famously waylaid Bilbo and his companions during the Quest of Erebor. Years later, Frodo and his companions found them on the way to Rivendell, but the Trolls, from the distractions of Gandalf, had been turned to stone by the sun. On the hills of the Trollshaws were shallow caves, and on the top of some of the hills there were castles and towers that had been built by the Men of Rhudaur.
It seems there were few if any Trolls that lived in the shaws by the late Third Age. They were probably driven back into the Ettenmoors (which was Troll country) to the north, by the Dúnedain Rangers and the Elves of Rivendell.
 Portrayal in adaptations
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Trollshaws is one of main regions of the game, lasting from the Last Bridge to the valley of Rivendell. The river Bruinen plays a prominent role there, with both Bruinen Gorges and the hills of Tal Bruinen being important landmarks. This area is inhabited by dozens of non-playable characters, who are involved in hundreds of quests.
Shaws is an archaic word meaning "thicket, wood".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "The West of Middle-earth at the End of the Third Age" [map]
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Roast Mutton"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Flight to the Ford"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson)
|Route of Thorin and Company|
|Bag End · The Shire · Lone-lands · Last Bridge · Trollshaws · Troll's Cave · Rivendell · High Pass · Front Porch · Goblin-town · Goblin-gate · Eagle's Eyrie · Carrock · Beorn's Hall · Wilderland · Forest Gate · Elf-path · Mirkwood · Elvenking's Halls · Forest River · Lake-town · Long Lake · River Running · Desolation of the Dragon · Ravenhill · Back Door · Lonely Mountain|