The Lord of the Rings Index
This article or section is a stub. Please help Tolkien Gateway by expanding it.
The Lord of the Rings Index was published in The Return of the King. The first index was compiled by Nancy Smith in 1958 (who was instructed to ignore the Appendices). The Songs and Verses part was added in 1965 by Baillie Klass.
- I Songs and Verses
- (a) [Titles]
- (b) First Lines
- II Persons, Beasts and Monsters
- III Places
- IV Things
- (Ballantine Books, 1965), with the Songs and Verses part.
- (Allen & Unwin, 1966), emendations by J.R.R. Tolkien, adding some notes, 'translations', and some citations to the Appendices. In America it was published by the Houghton Mifflin Co., 1967, but not by Ballantine Books).
- (2005) a new, enlarged index by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, preserving Tolkien's added notes.
 See also
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. lxxxii
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. xv
|The Lord of the Rings|
|Foreword · Prologue · The Fellowship of the Ring · The Two Towers · The Return of the King · Appendices · Index|