Thorin and Company
|Thorin and Company|
|"The Dwarfs" by Frank Rivolli|
|Date founded||T.A. 2941|
|Purpose||Reclamation of the Lonely Mountain, and recovery of Dwarven wealth including the Arkenstone|
|Notable members||Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fíli, Kíli, Dori, Nori, Ori, Óin, Glóin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur and Bilbo Baggins|
|Notable for||Re-establishment of the Kingdom under the Mountain, bringing about the death of Smaug|
|Gallery||Images of Thorin and Company|
Thorin and Company refers to the thirteen exiled Dwarves under the leadership of Thorin Oakenshield and the one Hobbit Bilbo Baggins, who famously made the Quest of Erebor, travelling through the Misty Mountains and the Wilderland to the Lonely Mountain, to recover their ancient treasure from the Kingdom of Erebor, stolen by the Dragon Smaug.
Thorin's company were:
- Balin and Dwalin, sons of Fundin (descendants of Náin II)
- Óin and Glóin, sons of Gróin (cousins of Balin and Dwalin)
- Fíli and Kíli, brothers, nephews of Thorin
- Dori, Nori and Ori (Dwarves of the House of Durin)
- Bifur with his cousins Bofur and Bombur (descendants of the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm)
- And Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit of the Shire
They were joined by Gandalf for part of the journey.
 Portrayal in adaptations
2012-14: The Hobbit film series:
- The thirteen dwarves all feature in the films, although they do not wear coloured hoods, but are given more developed personalities. Unlike in the book, the Company is pursued by a pack of Orcs - led by Azog - throughout their quest. Thorin is portrayed as younger than in the book (where he was the oldest), and Ori is also portrayed as being younger than Fíli and Kíli. When reaching the mountain, the nine Dwarves actually do battle with Smaug instead of hiding from him in the "Battle of the Forges". The remaining four Dwarves who stayed behind in Lake-town journey to Erebor after Smaug is slain.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "Durin's Folk"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "An Unexpected Party"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Roast Mutton"
|Members of Thorin and Company|
|Thorin · Balin · Dwalin · Fíli · Kíli · Dori · Nori · Ori · Óin · Glóin · Bifur · Bofur · Bombur · Gandalf · Bilbo Baggins|
|Route of Thorin and Company|
|Bag End · Green Dragon · The Shire · Lone-lands · Last Bridge · Trollshaws · Trolls' Cave · Rivendell · High Pass · Front Porch · Goblin-town · Goblin-gate · Eagle's Eyrie · Carrock · Beorn's Hall · Wilderland · Forest Gate · Elf-path · Mirkwood · Elvenking's Halls · Forest River · Lake-town · Long Lake · River Running · Desolation of the Dragon · Ravenhill · Back Door · Lonely Mountain · Great Hall of Thráin|