Stone-trolls were a race of trolls in the service of Sauron. Not much is known of these creatures, except that they inhabited the Westlands of Middle-earth and that they spoke a "debased form of the Common Speech". It is possible that they were not actually living beings, but mere counterfeits made by Melkor, and they would return to their stone images once exposed to the light of the Sun.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix F, "The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age", "Of Other Races"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien; Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 153, (dated September 1954)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Roast Mutton"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Robert Foster (1978), The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, p. 366
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Flight to the Ford"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "The Stone Troll"
- ↑ "Tolkien Society Anglo-Saxon Study Pack 2" dated 18 February 2006, The Tolkien Society (accessed 18 February 2018)