The Fairbairn Family was the family name of the descendants of Samwise Gamgee, through his eldest daughter Elanor and her husband Fastred of Greenholm, because her elvish beauty was long inherited by her descendants.
Fastred became the first Warden of Westmarch, a title handed down to his son Elfstan Fairbairn and his descendants. The family seat was at Undertowers on the Tower Hills, so that the family are often referred to as the 'Fairbairns of the Towers'.
 Family Tree of the Fairbairns of the Towers
|Fastred of Greenholm|
 Family Tree Notes
Fairbairn is a real-life English surname a northern variant of the name Fairchild.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, "Nomenclature of The Lord of the Rings" in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 757
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "The Longfather-tree of Master Samwise"
- ↑ Robert Foster, The Complete Guide to Middle-earth, p. 134
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "Preface", note 2