First Age 538
Notable events in this year include:
- The Third Kinslaying: the remaining sons of Fëanor, desiring the Silmaril, attack the remnants of Doriath and Gondolin at the New Havens.
- Círdan and Gil-galad send aid to the Havens. They arrive too late and the people are defeated; the refugees move to the Isle of Balar.
- Death of Amrod and Amras.
- Elrond and Elros are taken captive by Maglor, but Maglor comes to love the boys and fosters them.
- Elwing, bearing the Silmaril, casts herself into the sea. Ulmo bears her up in the likeness of a swan and she finds Eärendil.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Three. The Wanderings of Húrin and Other Writings not forming part of the Quenta Silmarillion: V. The Tale of Years", p. 348
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"