Fourth Age 63
Fourth Age 63 (abbreviated to Fo.A. 63 or F.O. 63) is the 63rd year of the Sun of the Fourth Age of Middle-earth. Unless otherwise stated, Tolkien Gateway follows Shire usage in Appendix B for reckoning Fourth Age years: Fourth Age 63 was also known as S.R. 1484 in Shire-reckoning.
Notable events in this year include:
- Meriadoc Brandybuck receives a message from King Éomer that he wishes to see him.
- Meriadoc takes counsel with Peregrin Took; they leave their belongings to their sons, Pippin takes with him a copy of the Thain's Book and they depart the Shire from Sarn Ford into the south.
- Faramir Took I succeeds his father Peregrin Took as Thain of the Shire.
- Death of King Éomer.[note 1]
- Elfwine, son of Éomer, becomes the nineteenth King of Rohan.
- Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took then travel on to Gondor. Peregrin brings the copy of the Thain's Book.
- ↑ Éomer's death is given as S.R. 1484 in the Appendix B and "F.A. 63 ([Third Age] 3084)" in the Appendix A, therefore while these events happened in S.R. 1484 aka F.A. 63 of the Shire, they correspond to Fourth Age 64 (Third Age 3084) by the reckoning of Gondor. Note that while in the Shire Calendar the year begins in midwinter, in the Calendar of Gondor it begins almost 2 months later.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Note on the Shire Records"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The House of Eorl", "The Kings of the Mark"