gar is a Noldorin word of uncertain meaning.
The word appears in two places:
- in a phrase on a draft of Thrór's Map: "Lheben teil brann i annon ar neledh neledhi gar godrebh"
- in an Elvish poem published in The Monsters and the Critics: "[...] Damrod dir hanach dalath benn gar meilien [...]"
David Kiltz has suggested that gar likely means "to go", or something similar. Hammond and Scull also appear to translate gar as "go" in their translation of the phrase on the draft of Thrór's Map.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator, pp. 92, 150 (note 6)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays, "A Secret Vice", p. 217
- ↑ David Kiltz, Noldorin _gar_ (message 512) (dated 30 October 2003) at Elfling