Hill-trolls were a variety of troll adapted for life among hills and moorland.
In appearance they were man-like, but larger, and seem to have been covered with hard scales. They were fearsome and vicious, bellowing like beasts as they stormed into battle, and beating their enemies down with great hammers.
 Portrayal in adaptations
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
- Hill Trolls (Sindarin Teregemyn) are among the most common of the Troll breeds. They are usually nine to twelve feet tall.
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- "Hill Trolls" is a Troll Faction, and "Hill-troll" is a Minion Character.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Black Gate Opens"
- ↑ Ruth Sochard (1985), Erech and the Paths of the Dead (#8060), p. 11
- ↑ R. Mark Colburn, Peter C. Fenlon, John D. Ruemmler, Terry K. Amthor, Jessica M. Ney (1989), Lords of Middle-earth Vol III: Hobbits, Dwarves, Ents, Orcs & Trolls (#8004)