Moria (1994 book)
|Author||Peter C. Fenlon, Jr.|
|Publisher||Iron Crown Enterprises|
 Cover/Jacket Text
"There was a blow on the door that made it quiver; and then it began to grind slowly open, driving back the wedges. A huge arm and shoulder, with a dark skin of greenish scales, was thrust through the widening gap. Then a great flat, toeless foot was forced through below. There was dead silence outside." - The Fellowship of the Ring
Moria, the "Black Chasm," lies deep in the bowels of the Misty Mountains. Here Durin's Folk, the oldest of the Seven Dwarf-houses, sculpted the vast city and endless mines of Khazad-dûm, the largest fortress ever constructed by the Free Peoples. Its stairways climb to the starry heavens and descend to depths unknown and terrible; its countless bridges cross bottomless pits and enchanting canyons; and its wonderfully-embellished vaults guard untold riches, including mithril: the enchanted "true-silver," the most priceless of all metals. Shrouded by an unspeakable curse - a foul, wicked legacy of original evil - this awe-inspiring marriage of singular natural and Dwarf-made wonders presents one of the greatest settings for exploration and adventure in all of Endor.
- FULL-COLOR MAPS of Dimrill Dale, the headwaters of the Sirannon, and the spires above Moria: Redhorn, Cloudyhead, and Silvertine.
- CROSS-SECTION OF THE STRONGHOLD depicting the core of Khazad-dûm, its sprawling mines, its Deeps and Levels, the Endless Stair, and the unfathomed Under-deeps.
- STONE MAPS portraying the complex network of avenues, roads, accessways, and mineways that connect Moria's myriad armories, ceremonial chambers, dungeons, gathering halls, and treasures.
- KEY LOCATIONS - the hidden West-gate, outside the enchanted doors of which Gandalf searched his ancient memory for the word which would open the portal; the Chamber of Mazarbul where Frodo stabbed a Cave-troll with his blade Sting; and the Unending Well bridged by the narrow span where Gandalf confronted the Balrog.
- FLOORPLANS for the Second Hall of the First Deep, the East- and West-gate, the Chamber of Records, the King's Armory, the Cold-forge, the Balrog's Lair, etc.
- SMITHIES where precise recipes for smelting, fire-forging, and cold-forging produce ingots, coins, and artefacts of unparalleled quality.
- TRAPS - the perilous devices with which the Dwarves guard treasured or sacred places in their cavern home.
- 6 ADVENTURES AND 3 EPISODES - confront treason amid the hotbed of political intrigue that comprises the royal court of Khazad-dûm under King Báin; accompany an aged Dwarf into abandoned Moria on an expedition seeking ancient treasures and heirlooms; learn the mystery of the Under-gates in the baffling Dwarven runes that hint at a Stone of Closing forged by Durin's Folk long ago.
This citadel module is a revision of ICE's acclaimed 1984 campaign sourcebook. Beside containing a host of new material covering everything from the wind-swept Redhorn Gate to the fiery Under-deeps, it provides statistics for MERP, Rolemaster, and the Lord of the Rings Adventure Game.