Mushrooms were a particular delight of young Frodo Baggins, who would often steal them from Farmer Maggot's fields. Old Maggot still remembered it when Frodo came to his farm years later, and as a parting gift, Mrs. Maggot gave Frodo a basket of the prized mushrooms.
 Portrayal in adaptations
- Though the scenes in Maggot's house have been omitted, a nod to mushrooms is given when the four Hobbits escape Farmer Maggot. Pippin spots them after a comment on a "short cut", making the full phrase sound as "A short cut to... mushrooms!", the chapter title.
- Mushrooms are collectible items found throughout the Shire. When ate, they restore 10 points of the player's health.
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- Mushrooms serve as power-ups throughout the game. One mushroom - green and blue of colour - restores one health bubble. Later in the game, larger, clustered mushrooms serve as a full healing item.
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Mushrooms can be grown by players who are famers by profession. Players who are cooks can make these into mushroom pie, fried mushroom and fried dace with mushrooms. These are foods for low leveled characters that can increase different traits.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Short Cut to Mushrooms"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Humphrey Carpenter, Christopher Tolkien (eds.), The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 213 (dated October 25, 1958)
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Short Cut to Mushrooms"
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (video game), "The Shire"
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Hobbiton"
- ↑ The Hobbit (2003 video game), "Flies and Spiders"